Cave systems appear in several levels: Coldstep Mines, Icewind Pass, Glacial Heights and The Underpass. The cave system operates as an off-screen path for enemies to follow. They will leave the main path by entering a cave and vanish from the screen for a short period, before re-entering the screen at a point further along the path by exiting from a second cave.
Two large canopies appear in only one level, Hushwood. Any enemies standing under the foliage are untargetable by towers and cannot be stopped by heroes or Reinforcements. Once they leave the forest, they return to normal.
Certain cliffs in four of the five underground levels: The Underpass, Beresad's Lair, The Dark Descent and Darklight Depths are covered in vines, which Saurian Broodguards, Saurian Nightscales and Saurian Darters can use as ladders to climb. Unlike most other paths, Heroes, soldiers and reinforcements cannot be placed on the cliffs (except Ashbite and Bonehart). Vines can be targeted by Rain of Fire in Flash but not in other versions.
- Cannot be crossed by walking heroes except Karkinos, however he cannot float and can only move through water, not linger on it. The Black Corsair, on the other hand, cannot leave water.
- Rally points and reinforcements cannot be placed on water.
- Alric's Sand Warriors and Cronan's Stampede cannot enter the sea.
- Greenfins, Redspines, Blacksurges, Deviltides and Bluegales cannot use their abilities on water.
- The Black Corsair can only place depth charges on water.
- Deviltides' sharks cannot leave water, and must be left behind when the Deviltide reaches shoreline.
- Enemies slain on water sink and do not produce corpses for Necromancer Towers.
Thermal Fissures appear in Pit of Fire and Pandaemonium. Parts of the path are cracked, and at random points in the battle, the cracks will widen and be heated by underground magma. The fissures do not affect enemies, but any troops or heroes walking or standing on it steadily take fire damage.
- As a being of living flame, Ignus does not take damage if standing on Thermal Fissures.
The stump of huge sequoia tree in Redwood Stand is hollowed out near the bottom, allowing enemies to pass through it. Any enemies standing inside the tree are untargetable by towers and cannot be stopped by heroes or Reinforcements. Once they leave the tree, they return to normal. In addition, the branches of the tree are manned by two Awok soldiers, who throw javelins at enemies, dealing 10 physical damage each.
Trails covered by magic dust of various colours appear in four of the five Faery Grove levels: Rockhenge, Grimmsburg, Neverwonder and The Unseelie Court. On these trails, enemies turn into sparks of light of various sizes and are invulnerable to everything until they leave.
Teleporters are the primary means of transportation in the levels set in the elven First City: The Ascent, Arcane Quarters, Mactans' Retreat and Shrine of Elynie. Enemies stepping on a teleporter are instantaneously transported to another one further along the path.
Certain platforms in the last two levels of Origins are connected by makeshift bridges made of durable spider silk presumably woven by Mactans herself. All Sword Spiders, Webspitter Spiders, Spiderbroods, and Driders walking on webs receive a boost to their movement speed.