Magic Towers or Mages are one of the four main tower types in Kingdom Rush, representing the more elusive side of Linirea's forces. They fire magic bolts that tear through armored enemies with ruthless efficiency. In-game; the terms mage, mage tower and wizard are often used to designate all magic towers.
Magic Towers share a number of characteristics:
- Attacks ignore creature physical armor, while being reduced by magical resistance
- High damage, the highest of all towers, but a slow attack speed
- Targets both air and ground units
These properties make mages very suited to deal with hard-to kill monsters.
There are five Mage Towers in all Kingdom Rush games:
- Three non-specialized towers
- Two specialized towers
The three non-specialized towers differ in each game but have the same purpose. Each upgrades a stage further before offering a split choice between two new towers with additional upgrades to further boost the towers offensive and defensive capabilities.
- Damage and cost values in parentheses are due to Hermatic Study (10% cost reduction) and Empowered Magic (damage increase) upgrades.
Kingdom Rush: Frontiers
Summon Death Rider
- Damage values in parentheses are due to Eldritch Power (10% damage increase) upgrade.
- The following table shows the effects of Brilliance upgrade.
|Number of magic towers built||Mage Tower||Adept Tower||Wizard Tower||Archmage||Necromancer|
Kingdom Rush: Origins
|Very Fast||Long||300g||Eldritch Doom|
Ward of Disruption
|High Elven Mage|
- Damage values in parentheses are due to Empowered Magic upgrade.
- Magic towers have a low fire rate, making them unsuited to deal with speedy foes or large masses of enemies, forcing them to be dealt with one-by-one and giving them enough time to pass through. Soldiers can help to slow down enemies, giving the mages time to unleash their magical barrage.
- While physical armor poses no challenge for mages, magical resistance can render creatures virtually impervious to magical attacks. Use physical attacks to break these enemies.
- Magic Towers are the second most expensive to upgrade. However, tower damage increases dramatically when this is done, making it money well spent.
- Arcane Wizards focus more on destruction, making them very effective when dealing with single strong mobs. Sorcerer mages are more suitable for enhancing damage done by other towers and stalling the enemies. Thus, it often pays off to have 1-2 Sorcerers on the map to curse enemies and Arcane Wizards elsewhere to get rid of mobs quickly.
- Also, Sorcerers have a higher fire rate than the Arcane Wizards, making them somewhat more suitable for dealing with multiple enemies than its counterpart.
Magic towers are generally strong against slow, heavily armored creatures such as:
- Blood Gnoll
- Blood Trickster
- Dark Knight
- Dark Slayer
- Demon Legion
- Dune Raider
- Earth Shaman
- Forest Troll
- Fungus Breeder
- Giant Scorpion
- Gnoll Gnawer
- Magma Elemental
- Orc Champion
- Phantom Warrior
- Saurian Brute
- Saurian Myrmidon
- Skeleton Knight
- Sand Wraith
- Satyr Hoplite
- Savage Zombie
- Spectral Knight
- Swamp Thing
- Tainted Treant
- Troll Breaker
- Twilight Avenger
- Twilight Golem
- Twilight Harasser
- Witch Doctor
Enemies with magical armor, enemies travelling in groups and fast creatures should be dealt with by other towers, as magic towers do not have the fire speed or power to deal with these mobs, including:
- Black Hag
- Demon Spawn
- Demon Lord
- Demon Hound
- Demon Imp
- Fallen Knight
- Giant Spider
- Desert Archer
- Dune Terror
- Giant Wasp
- Giant Wasp Queen
- Jungle Spider
- Jungle Matriarch
- Mutated Hatchling
- Noxious Creeper
- Sand Hound
- Savage Hunter
- Saurian Nightscale
- Saurian Darter
- Saurian Razorwing
- Saurian Blazefang
- Saurian Savant
- Shadow Archer
- Son of Sarelgaz
- Spider Hatchling
- Spider Matriarch
- Spirit Shaman
- War Hound
- Winter Wolf
- Spell Reach (1 Star): Increases wizard's attack range. (+10%)
- Arcane Shatter (1 Star): Magic attacks destroy a potion of enemy physical armor on every hit.
- Hermetic Study (2 Stars): Mage Towers construction and upgrading costs are reduced by 10%.
- Empowered Magic (2 Stars): Increases wizard's attack damage.
- Slow Curse (3 Stars): Magic attacks slow enemies by half their speed for a moment.
Kingdom Rush: Frontiers
- Rune of Power (1 Star): Increases mages' attack range. (10%)
- Spell Penetration (1 Star): Mages' bolts have a chance to ignore magic resistance.
- Eldritch Power (2 Stars): Increases mages' attack damage.
- Wizard Academy (2 Stars): Reduces mages' special abilities costs.
- Brilliance (3 Stars): For every other mage tower built, each mage tower gets a bonus to damage.
Kingdom Rush: Origins
- Crystal Focus (1 star): Increases Mage attack range. (+5%)
- Empowered Magic (1 star): Increases Mage attack damage.
- Crystal Gazing (2 stars): Increases Mage attack range. (+5% from Crystal Focus)
- Unstable Magic (2 stars): Mage attacks have a small change of dealing triple damage. (5%)
- Alter Reality (3 stars): Mage attacks have a chance of teleporting enemies back down the path.